Ground corn (maize) has been used as a food for thousands of years. Synonymous with Southern and Southwest cooking, cornbread has a crumbly texture and aroma. Here we skillet-baked a sweet twist on this traditional bread. The end result? A crispy, sweet and moist dish for the whole family.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 c cornmeal
- 1 c flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbsp butter (melted)
- 1/4 c Heritage Bee Co Liquid Wildflower honey
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F
- Use softened butter to generously grease a cast iron skillet (or 9″ square baking dish)
- In large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, sugar and salt
- Make a ‘nest’ in the centre of the dry mixture, then add buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and honey
- Stir until just combined. Don’t overmix!
- Pour batter into prepared pan
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown
- Cool for at least 10 minutes. Cut & serve.